Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thrifty Thursday

It's Thrifty Thursday! Whenever I move to a new place, I always try to find local thrift stores or antique stores where I can shop for "treasures". Since moving to North Carolina, I haven't found that one special store like I had when we lived in Alabama. I think I'm going to have to start exploring a little more. In the mean time, I have discovered the Goodwill stores here. Some of the items can be a little pricey, but you can also find some good deals. At least you know that whatever you spend is going towards a good cause. I wanted to share a few of my favorite "finds".

 
This vase came with 3 stems of white hydrangeas and 5 stems of blue ones for $6.27. I mostly wanted the flowers, but the vase is cute too and I love the color. It just happens to be the color I'm trying to use as an accent in my kitchen.
 
 
Here are the blue hydrangeas that I put in a copper pot that I also found at Goodwill for $2.98.
 
 
I think they add just the right touch to the top of my new bookshelf in the family room. I will post on it later.
 
 
This family "sculpture" (I know that's not the right word, but I'm not really sure what to call it) is also a good addition to the new bookshelf for $2.67. It might look cuter painted, but for now, I'm going to leave it.
 
 
These antiqued mirrors where $.69 each and too cute to pass up.
 
 
You might remember seeing them on my mantle in my burlap wreath tutorial.
 
 
I have been trying to add more real plants around the house, so this little pot was perfect for only $.49.
 
 
I found this for $1.28. I'm not sure where I'm going to put it, but for that price, I'm sure I can find some place :)
 
 
I just LOVE my church lady fan and it was only $.79. I can just picture a lady back in the 50s or 60s, headed to church wearing her Sunday best, which, of course, includes pearls and a hat. I can picture her singing hymns and fanning herself because it's Mississippi during July and there is no air conditioning...so, I could be totally wrong on the fan, but that is my fantasy.
 
 
 
Originally, I was going to put it on my kitchen counter...

 
But then, I decided to put it on the top of my other new bookshelf in the family room.
 
 
I paid $3.28 for this clock. We have a few boat pictures in our family room, not that I want it to be too theme-y, but I thought it might work.
 
 
I fell in love when I saw this! The wood is a little scratched up, but for $1.28, I can deal with it. I'm thinking about painting it anyway, but I haven't decided for sure yet. I have seen these used so many different ways. Now, I just need to decide how I want to use mine.
 
I am pretty pleased with the $20.42 I spent. Have y'all found any goodies at the Goodwill lately?
 

3 comments:

  1. I love your post this time Elizabeth. I love the first vase and the antique mirrors. You are so creative. One of these days I'm gonna turn you loose one room at a time to decorate for me. I trust your taste. Keep on blogging... I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your decorating ideas and savvy! I find it very convenient to live right next door to a thirft store. I get lots of neat picks that way! But I scour the others in the area, too, when I have time. Btw, I love the title of your blog.

    ReplyDelete