Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Birthday Season is Approaching

In our family, everyone has a summer birthday. We use this to our advantage by just throwing one party for the kids. They are too young to really have their own friends and we always have family traveling to attend, so it's just easier on everyone. I LOVE to throw parties, but it's easy to let things get out of hand. We try to save money by having a joint party. We wouldn't be able to do as much if they each had their own party. I know the years of them wanting to have their party together are limited, so I want to take advantage while I can.

Here are some pictures from last year's soiree. The theme was Dr. Seuss.


Welcome! DIY Balloon Wreath
 
"Stop right here and take a look. Would you please sign my book?"
 
DIY Banner, Kites, and Pom poms
 
Drink Station
I covered a shoe box with wrapping paper, put a ribbon around it, and placed the cups on top. I also attached ribbon and a Dr Seuss cut out (from the cupcake toppers) to the glass straw holder and drink dispenser with double-sided tape.
 
Here is the spread...
I attached tissue paper pom poms to the chandelier, but didn't get a good picture of them.
I wanted all the food to go along with the theme, so I made signs for each item.
We had:
Cat in the Hat Kabobs (Strawberry and marshmallow kabobs with chocolate dipping sauce)
Truffula Tufts (Cheese puff balls)
Hop on Pop-corn (pretty self-explanatory)
Fish in the Pot (Goldfish in a tea pot)
Lorax cookies (Nutter Butters with an icing mustache and candy eyes)
Red and blue candy buffet
 
Here is a better picture of the cookies and one of my signs.
 
Smash cakes and Cupcakes with DIY cupcake toppers
 
DIY Highchair Tutu
 
I found some party hats on clearance at target and embellished them with pom poms and a "1" and "3". Then, I let the kids decorate them with foam stickers.
 
I made the Cat in the Hat's top hat out of toilet paper rolls and filled them with paper shreds, coloring pages, and crayons. I printed the coloring pages off of the PBS website.
 
 
The kids have decided that they want a Micky/Minnie Mouse party this year. I better start looking for ideas and working on my DIY projects now. Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment